10.08: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Chop Suey, Seattle
10.09: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Holocene, Portland
10.10: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Mighty, San Franciso
10.11: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Avalon, Hollywood
10.15: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Montreal
10.16: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Toronto
10.17: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Sonotheque, Chicago
10.18: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Blind Pig, Ann Arbor
10.25: MATTHEW DEAR’S BIG HANDS @ Ghostly International Showcase, LPR, NYC
You might associate the name Matthew Dear with minimal techno and the dancefloor but Matthew Dear is smarter than that and cannot be pigeonholed so easily – over the last year and half since the initial release of his sophomore album “Asa Breed” (re-released in March this year as a special “black edition) Matthew has proved himself to be one of the hardest working acts in the US – no longer definable as merely an electronic act with his live trio Matthew Dears Big Hands he’s become a bonafide front man of equal stature with the best in indie rock. After tons of dates at major festivals worldwide the trio is back on the road this fall. Even if you’ve seen them before you should treat yourself to checking them again – developed far beyond expectations this is one unmissable show.
“From start to finish Matthew Dear’s Big Hands had the entire room moving to communal favourites from Asa Breed and Leave Luck To Heaven. Between songs I overheard a girl next to me shout to her friend, “He’s so much better than I thought he would be!” Of course he is! I, too, thought I was just going to hear a talented techno producer live. None of us expected a rock star who could easily have commanded an audience many times the size at an outdoor summer festival.” Review of Matthew Dear’s Big Hands performance at ICA London
* Matthew Dear’s Big Hands is a trio consisting of Matthew Dear as front man / vocalist, guitarist John Gaviglio and drummer Mark Maynard
* Matthew Dear’s Big Hands last tour was opening for Hot Chip in the UK
* A new video for Matthew Dear’s song “Pom Pom” will be available in October
* Matthew Dear also performs as a DJ under his own name and live laptop techno dance floor sets under the alias AUDION. Matthew Dear’s Big Hands is
influenced by records like the Brian Eno / David Byrne classic “My Life in the Bush of Ghosts” and bears more in common with dance / rock acts than it does
his full on dance floor material.
* During the period “Asa Breed” was being completed Matthew cited Tony Allen, Phillip K. Dick, Arthur Russell, Jack White and William Cotton Calcutt as artists he was listening to
* Matthew Dear will release the first mix CD under his own name on OCTOBER 28th – it’s called BODY LANGUAGE Vol 7 and will be released on the GET PHYSICAL label – it
does feature a brand new track by Matthew.
* This year Matthew has remixed the likes of Spoon, Sasha, Ellen Allien and Dubfire – Matthew has also just completed new remixes for Liquid Liquid (“Optimo” for Domino UK out October 6th) \
and a remix of classic “Plastic Dreams” (for R&S)
* House music Remixes of Matthew Dear’s classic single “Dog Days” single have just been released on Spectral Sound