ATP New York 2009 Announces Cinema Programming, Eric White exhibition and more! Criterion to host, Jim Jarmusch to present ‘Mystery Train’ Festival Set For Sept 11-13, co-curated by The Flaming Lips
Weekend passes on-sale $235 + booking fee
Limited Single Day Tickets Now On Sale:
Friday single day pass is $75 + booking fee
Saturday or Sunday single day passes are $95 + booking fee
While all rooms at Kutsher’s are now sold out, a limited number of rooms are still available at the nearby Raleigh Resort where we will be running constant shuttle buses. Bus travel is now on sale, including day tripper passes and weekend passes with accommodation + bus travel. Details at atpfestival.com
All Tomorrow’s Parties (ATP) is happy to announce its return to Kutsher’s Country Club in Monticello, New York for the 2nd annual ATP New York festival. The event will be held Sept 11-13, 2009. Expect more of the same greatness in 2009, with no-holds-barred programming both musically and otherwise. Capacity limited to just 2800 people! All stages are INDOORS so rain will not be an issue!
Last year’s festival, co-curated by My Bloody Valentine, was a critical and cultural success with rave reviews from media and fans. This year’s Fest will be co-curated by The Flaming Lips.
Alongside the outrageously good music lineup, ATP are happy to announce additional events happening throughout the weekend:
* CRITERION will be presenting a full film line-up featuring classic films such as Ace In The Hole, Blast Of Silence, Chungking Express, Days Of Heaven, For All Mankind, House, Hunger, If, In The Realm Of The Senses, Monterey Pop, Paris Texas, Pierrot Le Fou, Playtime, Repulsion, Two-Lane Blacktop and Videodrome. As part of the Criterion hosted cinema, Jim Jarmusch will be presenting his 1990 film, Mystery Train on Sunday September 13th at the event, and afterwards performing a Q&A. Named after an Elvis Presley hit, Mystery Train interweaves three engrossing stories, all centering around the Presley legend and his beloved hometown of Memphis. As the character’s paths collide — through laughter, fear and fate — you can practically feel the presence of the King himself in every scene and his legacy impressed on a generation of equally lost souls in this brilliantly structured comedy.
* The long waited ALL TOMORROW’S PARTIES film will also be screened (for more info see www.ourtrueintent.com).
* We’re incredibly excited to announce that artist ERIC WHITE will be producing this events Dolbee toy, and doing an exhibition for all three days at the event. White grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He attended the Rhode Island School of Design and received his BFA in 1990. Following graduation, White spent ten years in San Francisco. Since 2000, he has been living and working in New York. White is known for his painstakingly rendered craftsmanship, complex compositions, and distorted figurative style. His work is heavily influenced by alternate realities, including the dream state; metaphysics, including the work of Jane Roberts and Seth; and obscure cultural references such as vintage Hollywood imagery.
* Ian Svenonius will be continuing his VBS.TV interview series, Soft Focus with Buzz from The Melvins and Suicide and one more band to be confirmed. Ian Svenonius is an American musician, notable as the singer and mouthpiece of various Washington, D.C.-based music groups including Nation of Ulysses, The Make-Up, Weird War, and Chain and The Gang. Between his numerous projects, Svenonius has released more than 15 full-length albums and more than 20 singles, EPs, and splits. Svenonius is also a published author. As the proverbial icing on the chat-show cake, Ian Svenonius and friends will be DJing a dance party on Saturday night. Too much fun!
· Steve Albini (Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac) will once again be hosting a games room on Saturday and Sunday.
· WMFU will be broadcasting live from the event.
Friday will feature the first New York show in a long time by The Jesus Lizard and ATP favourites Iron and Wine. Panda Bear will also have exclusive performance on Friday. Please note this was initially scheduled for Saturday, and Saturday ticket holders will have the option to switch to Friday if they so choose. They will join the Don’t Look Back shows also taking place on Friday: The Feelies performing Crazy Rhythms, New York’s finest Suicide performing their first LP, Dirty Three performing Ocean Songs and The Drones performing Wait Long By The River… The evening will be rounded off with the Comedy Stage hosted and curated by the one and only David Cross. Eugene Mirman, Jon Glaser and Jon Benjamin (The Fuggedabuddies), and Derrick Brown and the Navy Gravy will all be performing on the comedy stage.
Saturday is curated by ATP will feature performances by Sufjan Stevens, Animal Collective, Shellac, Circulatory System, and Grouper. Other confirmed acts include Boss Hog, Deerhunter, Bridezilla, Melvins, Black Dice, Dead Meadow, Autolux, EL-P, Akron Family, Antipop Consortium, Atlas Sound and the hotly tipped Sleepy Sun.
Sunday is curated by the outlandish Flaming Lips. Every act that plays will perform an exclusive special show, bespoke for this event. Recent additions to Sunday’s lineup are Hopewell, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Birds of Avalon, and Menomena. Also performing special sets – Crystal Castles, Super Furry Animals, Boris, and Low Lows. Other announced acts include: “Oneida presents the Ocropolis” – where Oneida will transport the impetus, spirit and community of their multidisciplinary studio/performance space, The Ocropolis, to ATP. Boredoms continuing their BOADRUM series, performing with 9 drummers on stage. No Age will perform a whole LP by Husker Du with special guest Bob Mould. Deerhoof will perform with special visuals by Martha Colburn. Caribou will perform as Caribou Vibration Ensemble, with a 4 piece horn section, 4 drummers and a choir and guests that include Kieran Hebden (Four Tet/Fridge/Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid), Koushik (Stones Throw Records), John Schmersal (Enon, Brainiac), Kathryn Bint (One Little Plane), Ahmed Gallab (Sinkane), Marshall Allen (Sun Ra Arkestra) and more.
The full musical line-up at a glance…
The Jesus Lizard
Iron and Wine
Don’t Look Back: Dirty Three Performing ‘Ocean Songs’
Don’t Look Back: Suicide Performing First LP
Don’t Look Back: The Feelies Performing ‘Crazy Rhythms’
Don’t Look Back: The Drones Performing ‘Wait Long By The River’
Comedy Stage -Hosted and curated by David Cross
*moved from Saturday. Saturday ticket holders will have the option to switch to Friday if they choose.
Saturday: curated by ATP
Sunday: curated by The Flaming Lips
The Flaming Lips
Boredoms perform 9 drummer BOADRUM
Caribou perform as Caribou Vibration Ensemble
Deerhoof with Martha Colburn
Super Furry Animals
Oneida Presents the Ocropolis
No Age featuring Bob Mould performing songs of Husker Du.
Black Moth Super Rainbow
Birds of Avalon