JACK BLACK AND MOS DEF STAR IN ROBOCOP, AND RUSH HOUR, AND GHOSTBUSTERS AND BE KIND REWIND
MOS DEF’S COMPLETE PERFORMACE AT SUNDANCE AVAILABLE
LAKESHORE RECORDS’ BE KIND REWIND SOUNDTRACK BRINGS TO LIFE THE SONGS OF FATS WALLER, IN STORES NOW
Lakeshore Records will release the original motion picture soundtrack for BE KIND REWIND. The album features classic Fats Waller cuts performed by the film’s star Mos Def, writer/director Michel Gondry and composer Jean-Michel Bernard, plus classic tracks by Booker T and the MGs, Fats Waller, Billy Preston, original music by Bernard, and a performance by Jack Black. The soundtrack is in stores now.
Jerry (Jack Black) is a junkyard worker who attempts to sabotage a power plant that he believes is melting his brain. But when his plan goes awry, the magnetic field that he creates accidentally erases all of the videotapes in a local video store where his best friend Mike (Mos Def) works. Fearing that the mishap will cost Mike his job, the two friends team up to keep the store’s only loyal customer (Mia Farrow) – a little old lady with a tenuous grasp on reality – from realizing what has happened by recreating and re-filming every movie that she decides to rent. From “Ghostbusters,” to “Robocop,” to “Rush Hour,” to “The Lion King,” Jerry and Mike become the biggest stars in their neighborhood by starring in the biggest movies ever made.
French composer Jean-Michel Bernard was trained as a classical pianist, performing with the London Philharmonic and in jazz clubs in Paris and Bordeaux. After a stint as the musical director and conductor for a popular French political radio show he began composing for film, television and commercials. He collaborated with Claude Bolling, Lalo Schifrin and Ennio Morricone. From 1999 to 2003 he worked with Ray Charles on several International and European tours. He first worked with Michel Gondry on the film HUMAN NATURE, composing two songs, and in 2006 composed the score for Gondry’s film THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP, which earned him the Best Score Award at Cannes.
According to Mr. Fletcher (Danny Glover), the owner of the store and Mike’s boss, the video store was once home to jazz legend Fats Waller. Mr. Fletcher is a huge fan of Waller and leaves Mike in charge of the store while he makes his pilgrimage to the birthplace of Waller.
Because Waller plays a major part in the storyline, his songs are featured prominently on the soundtrack. Mos Def performs several tracks, including “Your Feets Too Big”, “Ain’t Misbehavin'” and “I Ain’t Got Nobody”. Even director Michel Gondry got into the act, performing on several cuts with Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, and Donald “Duck” Dunn.
New Line Cinema presents BE KIND REWIND, in theaters on February 22. The Lakeshore Records recording will be available on iTunes and in stores on January 22, 2008.
Be Kind Rewind – Mos Def Complete Performance @ Sundance ’08
Michel Gondry on drums, composer Jean-Michel Bernard on piano, and actor Mos Def on vocals perform at Sundance House during 2008 Sundance Film Festival
Be Kind Rewind – Tracklisting
01. Your Feets Too Big – Mos Def, Jean-Michel Bernard
02. Nothing From Nothing – Billy Preston
03. I Ain’t Got Nobody – Jean-Michel Bernard
04. Jerry’s Sweded Ghost Song – Jack Black
05. Microwaves – Jean-Michel Bernard
06. Train Station – Jean-Michel Bernard
07. I Ain’t Got Nobody – Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald “Duck” Dunn & Michel Gondry
08. Keep Jerry Out – Jean-Michel Bernard
09. Little Mikey – Jean-Michel Bernard
10. I’m Bill – Jean-Michel Bernard
11. Lulu’s Back In Town – Jean-Michel Bernard & the Passaic High School Marching Band
12. Chinese Bamboo – Jean-Michel Bernard
13. Magnetic Pee – Jean-Michel Bernard
14. The Animated Lion – Jean-Michel Bernard
15. I Ain’t Got Nobody – Mos Def, Jean-Michel Bernard & Michel Gondry
16. Robot Karate – Jean-Michel Bernard
17. Daisy’s Drive – Jean-Michel Bernard
18. Plan – Jean-Michel Bernard
19. Blind Test – Jean-Michel Bernard
20. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot – Fats Waller
21. Mike Has An Idea – Jean-Michel Bernard
22. DVD Break-In – Jean-Michel Bernard
23. Sunny Monday – Booker T. & The MGs
24. Ain’t Misbehavin’ – Mos Def & Jean-Michel Bernard
25. Solitude – Jean-Michel Bernard
26. Lulu’s Back In Town – Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald “Duck” Dunn & Michel Gondry
27. Your Feets Too Big – Fats Waller
28. Mr. Fletcher’s Song – Jean-Michel Bernard and Moe Holmes